Hearty Ground Beef Stew
"I created this chunky soup when looking for something inexpensive and easy to make," recalls Sandra Castillo of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. The thick and hearty mixture is chock-full of ground beef, potatoes and baby carrots.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 package (16 ounces) baby carrots
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Lipton beefy onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the next nine ingredients.
- Stir in the beef. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours. Stir in soup
- and tomato paste; cover and cook for 1 hour longer or until heated
- through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 180 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat,