Hearty Chili Mac Recipe
Luckily, this recipe makes a lot, since everyone is apt to want another bowl. It freezes well and makes excellent leftovers-if there is any left. Not that I'm a retired farm wife, I enjoy traveling and volunteering. —Fannie Wehmas, Saxon, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:10-12 servings
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, celery, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add the beans and macaroni; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 217 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 809 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC