Hawaiian Rice Pudding Recipe
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- PINEAPPLE SAUCE:
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a saucepan, combine 3-1/2 cups milk, rice, sugar and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese. Beat in eggs and remaining milk. Stir into rice mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes over medium heat until mixture reaches 160°. Stir in vanilla. Spoon into six dessert dishes.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set the pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, butter, salt and reserved pineapple juice. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vanilla and pineapple. Spoon over pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 478 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for Hawaiian Rice Pudding
"This is the best rice pudding receipe I've come across! Rich, creamy and full of flavor-I made my sauce with what I had on hand- strawberries, blackberries and pineapple in lemon juice and cornstarch."
"This rice pudding is mmmmmm, mmmmm good! Very easy to make, creamy, not too sweet, and seems to be fool proof! It's delicious without the sauce, but adding it makes it heavenly. I use 1% milk, and it tastes rich and wonderful."
"I have made this rice pudding since it was featured in taste of home with two exceptions I omit the cream cheese and do not make the sauce. I use whole milk, half & half, or a combination. I use jasmine rice for long grain, it doesn't stick. My husband doesn't care for pudding so it leaves more for me & my kids. We eat this cold, warm with or without cream, but its best when the chill has been knocked off."
"Do you eat this hot or cold?"