Hawaiian Rice Pudding Recipe
"An aunt who lived in Hawaii shared the recipe for this tropical-tasting rice pudding," relates field editor Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas. "It's my family's favorite comfort food."
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- PINEAPPLE SAUCE:
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a saucepan, combine 3-1/2 cups milk, rice, sugar and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese. Beat in eggs and remaining milk. Stir into rice mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes over medium heat until mixture reaches 160°. Stir in vanilla. Spoon into six dessert dishes.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set the pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, butter, salt and reserved pineapple juice. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vanilla and pineapple. Spoon over pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 478 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 413 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC