Green Bean Soup
This soup has been passed down for generations beginning with my great-grandmother. I make it often, especially when I can use homegrown beans, carrots, onions and potatoes.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh savory or 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender. Before serving, remove bay leaf and
- parsley and savory sprigs. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-fat ham and low-sodium bouillon and without salt) equals 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch; also, 107 calories, 175 mg sodium, 19 mg cholesterol, 12 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm protein, 2 gm fat.