Grammy's Oat Rolls Recipe
I make almost all of my own breads and rolls, and everyone in the family is a very eager tester. This is the recipe they request most often. Leftovers can be wrapped in foil and frozen.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, butter, 2 tablespoons honey, molasses and salt. Stir in boiling water; cool to 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining honey and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir yeast mixture into oat mixture with egg and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 155 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Grammy's Oat Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC