- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, butter, 2 tablespoons honey, molasses and salt. Stir in boiling water; cook for 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining honey and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir yeast mixture into oat mixture with egg and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in two greased 8-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
Reviews forGrammy's Oat Rolls
"A nice soft, but wholesome, roll that would be great with a bowl of soup. I will definitely make these again!"