Gluten-Free Sugarplums Recipe
Lots of moist, fruity flavor and nutty crunch give these sweet/spicy bites a kind of gumdrop richness. They make a delicious addition to cookie trays. Sneak one early—they’ll be gone before you can lick the sugar off your fingers! —CORLEEN HEIDGERKEN, MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 1-1/3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cherries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar
- 1. Place the walnuts, dates and cherries in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in the honey, orange peel and spices. Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 sugarplum equals 84 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC