- 1-1/3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cherries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar
- Place the walnuts, dates and cherries in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in the honey, orange peel and spices. Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forGluten-Free Sugarplums
"These are delish. They make wonderful gifts. I melted 1 cup of dark chocolate with 1 Tbs oil to pour over the top of the fruit balls!"
"These are wonderful! I didn't have cherries so I used cranberries. I will try the cherries next time."
"EXCELLENT! Huge hit and a surprise to ones who had never tried a "sugarplum" - only heard of them in Christmas stories. My husband is on a GF diet so it was nice to surprise him with a treat he could enjoy."
"These were a huge hit everywhere I took them. I made several trays of treats for neighbors and work and everyone ranted and raved at how delicious these were. I'm sure I will make them every year from now on! Contrary to other reviews - using my food processor - I thought these were quick and easy!"
"Time consuming to make but very tasty! They were moist and flavorful with lots of spice."
"FABULOUS! I can't wait to get to the store for more dates. These are EXCELLENT!! My kids thought they were getting away with something eating the "dough"! I used almonds instead of walnuts, the texture was fine but walnuts would make them richer. I want to try dried apricots and/or golden raisins in place of or along with the dried cherries."