Ghastly Pear Ghosts
These treats are a fun alternative to traditional caramel apples. Wrap them up and give as gifts at your Halloween party. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
9 ServingsPrep: 1 hour + standing
- 9 medium ripe Bosc pears
- 9 Popsicle sticks
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 pounds white candy coating disks
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup orange candy coating disks
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry pears; insert a Popsicle stick into the top
- of each.
- In a microwave, melt caramels and water; stir until smooth. Dip each
- pear into caramel mixture; turn to coat. Place on prepared pan; let
- stand until set.
- Melt white candy coating and 2 tablespoons shortening at 70% power
- for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second
- intervals, stirring until smooth. Dip pears into coating; allow
- excess to drip off. Return to pan; let stand until set.
- In the same microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon
- shortening; stir until smooth. Repeat with orange candy coating and
- 1 teaspoon shortening. Decorate ghost faces; let stand until set.
- Yield: 9 servings.