German Apple Pancake Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tart baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat a 10-in. cast-iron skillet in a 425° oven. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt and nutmeg; cover and process until smooth.
- 2. Add butter to hot skillet; return to oven until butter bubbles. Pour batter into skillet. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until pancake puffs and edges are browned and crisp.
- 3. For topping, in a skillet, add the apples, butter and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until apples are tender. Spoon into baked pancake. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut and serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 192 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for German Apple Pancake
"I've been making this recipe since Bountiful Harvest came out. It's delicious every time and a family favorite."
"Wow. Wow. The only problem with this is that I'll be making it A LOT because it is so darn good. I added a little cinnamon and sprinkled a few sliced almonds on top of the apples, baked it a couple minutes with the apples and almonds. So darn good."
"I used less sugar and should have used less butter, because I felt there was too much butter. I added golden raisins, which made up for the lessened amount of sugar, added to the flavor and visual appeal, and it really tasted great. Will make it again."
"I've never made anything like this before, but thought it would be a good way to use up the apples I had on hand. I only had 2 eggs to use, but it turned out just fine! I also substituted 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for the nutmeg & didn't use lemon wedges. This was soooo yummy, I can't wait to make it again!"
"It was very good!!"
"Hubby requests this all the time. Great recipe!"
"This recipe is quick, easy and delicious! Made a couple of additions: I used about 4 apples just because they were getting too soft and we don't eat them when they are soft. I also added a little vanilla to the apples while they cooked , didn't use an powder sugar just used sugar in the raw."
"Just made this for my family for a late breakfast. It was delish and easy prep. I did add butter and a little sugar to the pancake, and to the apples I used a little brown sugar and nutmeg. I omitted serving with the lemon wedges as my family tends to not like tart things. I am definitely adding this one to my recipe box. Perfect for a crowd!"
"With my German heritage, I grew up on these pancakes and they are the greatest!"
"Ummmm like apple pie for breakfast! I added cinnamon and brown sugar to the apples. I also made it with GF(gluten free) flour it turned out wonderful! I will make again and try it with some different fruits!"
"Delicious! First time having German pancakes. My husband doesn't like any pancake that has any flavor; only plain. He loved these. He said they taste like pop-overs (which he loves)."
" Thank You for the recipe.We often want somthing different especially when the weather is cold and grey.I'm giving this a try!Julie
"How can this receipe and the one with peaches possibly serve 6-8 people when it is made in a 10 inch skillet???Pat Lampi"