- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tart baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat a 10-in. cast-iron skillet in a 425° oven. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt and nutmeg; cover and process until smooth.
- Add butter to hot skillet; return to oven until butter bubbles. Pour batter into skillet. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until pancake puffs and edges are browned and crisp.
- For topping, in a skillet, add the apples, butter and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until apples are tender. Spoon into baked pancake. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut and serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forGerman Apple Pancake
"Delicious and easy to make. I added cinnamon to the apples, and next time I make it I'll double the amount of apples."
"I love these pancakes. We used to call them Dutch Babies. If you don't have apples, other fruits like preaches, strawberries or blueberries, or one's favorite can be used. My personal favorite is peaches."
"Iv been making this for years.. .I use Brown sugar and cinnamon on top..Gives it great flavor...A hit with company..Looks impressive...I server with Greek yogurt and fresh fruit..."
"The same recipe I've been using for 50 years, we called it Popover Pancake. Yummy"
"Needs a teaspoon of vanilla in the pancake batter. Otherwise, it's perfect and delicious!"
"I've been making this recipe since Bountiful Harvest came out. It's delicious every time and a family favorite."
"Wow. Wow. The only problem with this is that I'll be making it A LOT because it is so darn good. I added a little cinnamon and sprinkled a few sliced almonds on top of the apples, baked it a couple minutes with the apples and almonds. So darn good."
"I used less sugar and should have used less butter, because I felt there was too much butter. I added golden raisins, which made up for the lessened amount of sugar, added to the flavor and visual appeal, and it really tasted great. Will make it again."
"I've never made anything like this before, but thought it would be a good way to use up the apples I had on hand. I only had 2 eggs to use, but it turned out just fine! I also substituted 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for the nutmeg & didn't use lemon wedges. This was soooo yummy, I can't wait to make it again!"
"It was very good!!"