French Toast with Apple Topping
For breakfast or brunch, you can’t top this impressive dish from Janis Scharnott of Fontana, Wisconsin. Warm, sweet apples and a hint of cinnamon make this French toast extra special.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the apple, brown sugar and cinnamon in 1
- tablespoon butter until apple is tender.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla. Dip both sides of
- bread in egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Cook
- bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with apple mixture and
- maple syrup if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 slices with 1/4 cup apples (prepared with reduced-fat butter; calculated without maple syrup) equals 219 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,