- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the apple, brown sugar and cinnamon in 1 tablespoon butter until apple is tender.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Cook bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with apple mixture and maple syrup if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forFrench Toast with Apple Topping
"This was fabulous! My whole family enjoyed this very much. My high school senior said it was impressive! I made it with skim milk, egg substitute, and light butter to lessen the calories and then used a bit more bread because my load was really skinny. With 3 pieces of bread each, it came out to 230 calories because of the other lighter substitutions. The apples were delicious! This recipe is definitely a keeper. It did take me an hour to make it, though, with all the prep time of peeling and slicing the apples included. Yum!"
"Loved this recipe! And my husband couldn't stop eating it and asked that next time I double it. It was really easy to put together and will become a regular for weekend brunch. I also made it for myself ahead of time and just heated up a couple slices of the french toast and a scoop of the apples - delicious!"
"This recipe was okay. Wouldn't make it again, but overall, it was easy to make."
"Fantastic. Make twice as much apple topping, it is delicious and will go quickly. This apple topping could be used on a dessert as well. Yummy, it'll be hard to eat french toast any other way!"
"This is one of my weekly breakfast recipes that the whole family enjoys. I actually substitute the brown sugar and use Splenda brown sugar so that it has even less sugar content and use Skim milk instead of 2%. It is so delicious!!"
"This is a very tasty topping to go with traditional french toast, and it was easy to make."
"very good indeed!"