Freezer Cucumber Pickles Recipe
- 4 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 8 medium)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1. Rinse ten 2-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. Divide cucumbers, onions, salt and water between two large bowls. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Do not drain.
- 2. Add 2 cups sugar and 1 cup vinegar to each bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to prepared containers, leaving 1-in. headspace for expansion; freeze up to 6 months.
- 3. Thaw pickles in refrigerator 8 hours before using. Serve within 2 weeks after thawing. Yield: 10 pints.
1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 47 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
Reviews for Freezer Cucumber Pickles
"I was skeptical when I first saw this recipe, but decided to give it a try. They are soooo good!!!! Crispy and full of flavor!!! I didn't divide anything, just used big bowls. Yes, you can keep them in the freezer longer than 6 weeks, but they won't last that long."
"5 stars for taste but the recipe "as is" only does about 5-6 pints. All in all a good freezer pickle."
"Will these pickles keep longer then 6 weeks in the freezer in freezer containers???"
"it says cover and freeze for up tp 6 weeks does that mean they are no good any longer then the 6 weeks in the freezer"
"I have been making these since the recipe first appeared in the magazine. My family loves them, they can sit and eat them right out of the jar !"
"I make these every year and have shared the recipe with many people. My kids love them and we eat them all winter long - reminding us of summer's bounty!"
"I fixed this cucumber dish. It was very good!!!I would like to know if anyone has a cucumber slaw recipe?"