Freezer Cucumber Pickles
When I first started to make these crunchy and satisfying pickles, I wasn't sure if freezing cucumbers would actually work. To my surprise, they come out perfect! Now I make enough to take them to picnics or give as gifts to friends and neighbors. —Connie Goense, Pembroke Pine, Florida
80 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 4 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 8 medium)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- Divide cucumbers, onions, salt and water between two large bowls. Let
- stand at room temperature 2 hours. Do not drain.
- Add 2 cups sugar and 1 cup vinegar to each bowl; stir until sugar is
- dissolved. Transfer to ten 1-pint freezer containers, leaving 1-in.
- headspace for expansion; freeze up to 6 weeks.
- Thaw pickles in refrigerator 8 hours before using. Serve within 2
- weeks after thawing. Yield: 10 pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 47 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.