- 4 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 8 medium)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- Rinse ten 2-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. Divide cucumbers, onions, salt and water between two large bowls. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Do not drain.
- Add 2 cups sugar and 1 cup vinegar to each bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to prepared containers, leaving 1-in. headspace for expansion; freeze up to 6 months.
- Thaw pickles in refrigerator 8 hours before using. Serve within 2 weeks after thawing. Yield: 10 pints.
Reviews forFreezer Cucumber Pickles
"These we crunchy and tasted good but looked like they were wilted. I rated it 4 stars because the way the directions read it caused the containers to taste inconsistent . Some were too sweet. I tried another batch but disolved the sugar in the vinegar by slowly heating it in a saucepan . I let it cool while the cucumbers sat in the salt. My containers came out consistent this time."
"I have made them for a couple of years and they are delicious. The only thing is I added 1/2 tsp Cream of Tarter to maintain the color"
"Are these like bread and butter pickles? Just crunchier?"
"How long do these pickles have to stay in freezer before they are ready to eat?"
"Has anyone tried this by omitting the sugar and adding dill?"
"Can these be frozen in glass canning jars?"
"Just for the record , the recipe does not say anything about being best if used in 6 weeks of freezing... It says 6 MONTHS.;and then after they are thawed to use them within 2 weeks !It is a good recipe. Fast and very easy to make."
"I didn't personally make these, but a friend did. They are incredible. She is nervous when it comes to canning, so this was perfect for her. She did the recipe exactly as it's stated."
"I was skeptical when I first saw this recipe, but decided to give it a try. They are soooo good!!!! Crispy and full of flavor!!! I didn't divide anything, just used big bowls. Yes, you can keep them in the freezer longer than 6 weeks, but they won't last that long."
"5 stars for taste but the recipe "as is" only does about 5-6 pints. All in all a good freezer pickle."