Florentine Spaghetti Bake Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt and pepper. Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with spaghetti and remaining sausage mixture. Layer with spinach mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 491 calories, 28 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 1,243 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.