- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion, crumbling meat, until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in pasta sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Combine the egg with the next five ingredients. Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with spaghetti and remaining sausage mixture. Layer with egg mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned and heated through, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forFlorentine Spaghetti Bake
"This is a great recipe. I use ricotta instead of cottage cheese, like others mentioned. We also like the use fresh mushrooms instead of canned. Makes helps with the texture of the dish. We have made this with a few times and have used several different pastas. It is great each time."
"This is very tasty! I shared this with friends and everyone loved it! I used fresh mushrooms instead of can. I will make this again for sure!"
"Very tasty and popular with my family. Made it the first time with ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese because of my personal preference. Next time I will try it as written."
"Really good and easy and comforting on a cold day. As another reviewer noted, not very spicy, so just add 1/2 cup pizza sauce to the spaghetti sauce and it will perk it right up."
"In the oven for supper tonight! Very tasty and comes together quickly for a fast meal! While it's baking you can sit down and take a break! ??"
"My family loved this recipe. I don't care for the texture of cottage cheese so used ricotta cheese instead. Absolutely delicious!"
"Good hearty meal. We used whole wheat spaghetti and substituted chopped fresh kale for the frozen spinach. Not a very spicy dish, but definitely versatile!"
"Fantastic! A real crowd pleaser:) I made some tweaks to the recipe as I used 12 ounces of spaghetti instead of eight (only cook the pasta Until it's just el dente, it's going to cook again when baked) gound turkey ( which I seasoned with salt and pepper) instead of the Italian sausage, one jar sauce plus another half a jar of pasta sauce plus 2 tablespoons of Basil pesto, only half a package of frozen spinach. If you can find real mushrooms on sale I would recommend that. The cost of this was around $14 and worth it! You can definitely split this recipe and freeze half of it. This is definitely a recipe keeper. Thanks a bunch!"