Flavorful Mashed Potatoes
Earthy herbs bring a full chorus of flavor to creamy red potatoes, making this side dish anything but ordinary. Save it for special occasions or serve as a dressy accompaniment to a weeknight meal. Mary Relyea - Canastota, New York
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 pounds red potatoes (about 12 medium), quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- Place potatoes and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until
- potatoes are tender.
- Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding remaining
- ingredients. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 146 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 280 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.