This recipe was brought over from Finland by pioneers who settled the area. We make this bread for a local festival that features foods from different countries.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, divided>
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add whole wheat flour, 2
- tablespoons of butter, brown sugar, salt and 2 cups of flour; beat
- until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into two 6-in. rounds; place on a greased
- baking sheet. Cut slashes in top with a knife. Cover and let rise in
- warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with
- remaining butter. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 122 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium,