Finnish Bread Recipe
This recipe was brought over from Finland by pioneers who settled the area. We make this bread for a local festival that features foods from different countries.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of butter, brown sugar, salt and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down. Shape into two 6-in. rounds; place on a greased baking sheet. Cut slashes in top with a knife. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining butter. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 122 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC