Finnish Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of butter, brown sugar, salt and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down. Shape into two 6-in. rounds; place on a greased baking sheet. Cut slashes in top with a knife. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining butter. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 122 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Finnish Bread
"The cardamom is missing from this recipe...That's what makes a finnish braided bread fantastic! I am finnish and we've always had the cardamom in our recipe... So good toasted the next day....Mmmmm.... ;-) Please check out this recipe if you want a great finnish bread recipe... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7010/finnish-pulla/"