- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bow, dissolve yeast in water. Add whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of butter, brown sugar, salt and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down. Shape into two 6-in. rounds; place on a greased baking sheet. Cut slashes in top with a knife. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining butter. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forFinnish Bread
"The cardamom is missing from this recipe...That's what makes a finnish braided bread fantastic! I am finnish and we've always had the cardamom in our recipe... So good toasted the next day....Mmmmm.... ;-) Please check out this recipe if you want a great finnish bread recipe... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7010/finnish-pulla/"