Feather-Light Biscuits Recipe
"I USUALLY used a glass or baking powder can lid as a cutter so the biscuits would be bigger than average size...and I always baked some extras to send home with the kids. They liked to split them and fill them with cheese or peanut butter and strawberry jam."
- 6 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the baking mix, sugar and yeast. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough warm water to form a soft and slightly sticky dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 3-4 times.
- 2. Roll dough to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. round biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 each: 173 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Feather-Light Biscuits
Reviewed Apr. 7, 2013
"Very good my family loves them."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC