Favorite Apple Salad
A friend gave us this refreshing recipe, which immediately became a family favorite, especially with my mother and mother-in-law. For many meals, I'll prepare this crisp, colorful dish in place of an ordinary green salad.
-Sharon Bielmyer, Holtwood, Pennsylvania
14 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 8 cups chopped tart apples
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set the pineapple aside. Place
- juice in a saucepan; add butter, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a
- boil. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to the
- saucepan, stirring constantly. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes. Chill. Stir in mayonnaise. In a large bowl, combine
- pineapple, apples, grapes, poppy seeds and cooked dressing. Fold in
- the pecans just before serving. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with margarine and fat-free mayonnaise) equals 170 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1-1/2 fat.