Evelyn's Sour Cream Twists Recipe
"Evelyn" is my mother-in-law, who always keeps some of these terrific flaky twists in her freezer to serve in a pinch. They go quickly around our house— especially during the holidays.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs, sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the yeast mixture; mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Combine sugar and remaining vanilla; lightly sprinkle 1/2 cup over a pastry cloth or counter top surface. On the sugared surface, roll half the dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; refrigerate remaining dough. Sprinkle rolled dough with about 1 tablespoon of the sugar mixture. Fold rectangle into thirds.
- 3. Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut into 4-in. x 1-in. strips; twist each strip two or three times. Place on chilled ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining sugar mixture and dough.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pan and cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 97 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC