- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs, sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the yeast mixture; mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine sugar and remaining vanilla; lightly sprinkle 1/2 cup over a pastry cloth or counter top surface. On the sugared surface, roll half the dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle; refrigerate remaining dough. Sprinkle rolled dough with about 1 tablespoon of the sugar mixture. Fold rectangle into thirds.
- Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Cut into 4x1-in. strips; twist each strip two or three times. Place on chilled ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining sugar mixture and dough.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pan and cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forEvelyn's Sour Cream Twists
"I submitted this recipe a long time ago, and was surprised when I found it on the internet. My mother in law used to make it all the time. It's a family classic, and one I still make in her memory. It looks difficult, but it's not. Leftovers, IF you have any, freeze nicely."