English Toffee Bars
Meet the Cook: My mother and I get together every year around Christmastime to make this delicious chocolate-coated toffee, using a recipe she got years ago in a cooking class. It's a tradition I plan to continue with my daughters and grandchildren. Our families and friends wait with mouths watering for their packages.
-Dianne Brooks, Augusta, Kansas
36 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + standing
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-3/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set
- aside. In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add
- sugar and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy
- thermometer reads 295° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat;
- stir in pecans and salt.
- Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using a
- sharp knife, score into lines. Let stand at room temperature until
- Separate into squares, using a sharp knife if necessary. In a
- microwave, melt candy coating, stirring often. Dip squares, one at a
- time, in coating. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: 2-1/4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 ounce) equals 214 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.