English Toffee Bars Recipe
Meet the Cook: My mother and I get together every year around Christmastime to make this delicious chocolate-coated toffee, using a recipe she got years ago in a cooking class. It's a tradition I plan to continue with my daughters and grandchildren. Our families and friends wait with mouths watering for their packages. -Dianne Brooks, Augusta, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + standing YIELD:36 servings
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-3/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1. Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add sugar and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and salt.
- 2. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, score into lines. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- 3. Separate into squares, using a sharp knife if necessary. In a microwave, melt candy coating, stirring often. Dip squares, one at a time, in coating. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: 2-1/4 pounds.
1 serving (1 ounce) equals 214 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC