- 1 tablespoon plus 1-3/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Butter a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add sugar and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and salt.
- Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, score into lines. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- Separate into squares, using a sharp knife if necessary. In a microwave, melt candy coating, stirring often. Dip squares, one at a time, in coating. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: 2-1/4 pounds.
Reviews forEnglish Toffee Bars
"Absolutely delicious! I followed the instructions exactly and it turned out amazing! It is very easy to make, do make sure your thermometer is correct, mine was showing cooler than it was."
"Great recipe and super easy!!!!"
"This turned out great. I added some very finely ground nuts to the top of the chocolate. Also I didn't dip but put the melted chocolate on top only. I made 25 pounds (with a helper), to give as wrapped gifts at the party u gave for my Dad's 100th birthday party and got numerous compliments on it. Going to make some to give away for Christmas too."
"This is delicious! I made this years ago when it first was printed and it was great! Did again today and once again a big hit!"
"What is milk chocolate candy coating?"
"THIS CANDY WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT. IT SEEMED TO HAVE WAY TOO MUCH BUTTER. ???"
"I had never tried to make a candy before, but this was so easy to make and delicious. At room temperature the center is soft enough for us older folks with dentures to eat comfortably. If you prefer a harder center, I suggest cooking a minute longer."