Easy Breakfast Strata
Walking on egg shells first thing in the morning is so, well, not a good start to the day. That's why making breakfast the night before (and cleaning it up) is a brilliant plan. Breakfast Strata changes easily when you switch to brown-and-serve sausage links, diced cooked ham or diced cooked bacon. Use Swiss or Monterey Jack if you're not a cheddar fan, and bread variations from herbed breads to s
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) herb or cheese bakery bread, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, pepper and onion over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with
- sausage; sprinkle with cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk
- and mustard. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 277 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.