Double-Crust Onion Quiche
"In summer, our electric farm fencing business keeps us hopping, and I tend to fix quick meals like this hearty pie for husband Doug and me," relates Ruth Lee of Troy, Ontario. "I keep pie pastry on hand in the refrigerator or freezer just for this dish."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add the cheese, onion, bacon, salt and
- pepper; mix well. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust. Add egg
- mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over
- filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in top.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until the crust is golden
- brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.