"In summer, our electric farm fencing business keeps us hopping, and I tend to fix quick meals like this hearty pie for husband Doug and me," relates Ruth Lee of Troy, Ontario. "I keep pie pastry on hand in the refrigerator or freezer just for this dish."
Recommended: Top 10 Quiche Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the cheese, onion, bacon, salt and pepper; mix well. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust. Add egg mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in top.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until the crust is golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Double-Crust Onion Quiche in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p8