Donna Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 ounces mild or hot Italian sausage
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (24 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon parsley, sugar, basil, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and remaining parsley and salt.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup meat mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a third of the cheese mixture, 1-1/3 cups mozzarella cheese and a third of remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 377 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 925mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Donna Lasagna
"Thank you, Donna! I've been looking for that perfect classic "go-to" lasagna -- and I found it in your recipe. Clean, delicious, yumminess the whole family loved -- and it just gets better as leftovers the next day. I also nearly doubled the tomato puree (29 oz. can) but went by-the-book for the rest. Fantastico!"
"I make this lasagna at least once a month for church dinners. I double the meat; however, everything else in this recipe is added as stated. This is a phenomenal lasagna recipe!!!"
"Made this as written, minus the Italian sausage because we didn't have it in the house. My husband isn't a leftover or pasta person but he wanted more and more of this and was sad when it was gone. It only lasted a few days between the two of us with eating it for dinner and lunch. Would make a great make-ahead freezer meal also! I feel the blend of the spices and added cottage cheese make this taste so wonderful."
"Perfect comfort food! I make extra sauce to spoon over servings . Cottage cheese and ricotta cheese can be interchangeable , depending on preference."
"I'm not easily impressed but this was excellent. I used my own sauce which was much richer but the cheeses in this really made a difference. Be sure you let it set before cutting."
"This was delicious. I made extra sauce because photo looks dry. I also baked with non-stick foil and uncovered the last 10 minutes. Delicious and looked good."