Donna Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 ounces mild or hot Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (24 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon parsley, sugar, basil, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and remaining parsley and salt.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup meat mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a third of the cheese mixture, 1-1/3 cups mozzarella cheese and a third of remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 377 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 925 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.