- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces Johnsonville® Ground Mild or Hot Italian sausage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) tomatoes, pureed
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 9 lasagna noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 3 cups (24 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef and sausage; drain excess fat. Add pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, 1 tablespoon parsley, basil, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles in boiling water. Drain; rinse in cold water. Drain; rinse in cold water. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and remaining parsley and salt. In a 13-in. x 9-in. pan, layer one-third of noodles, one-third of cheese mixture, one-third of mozzarella cheese and one-third of meat sauce. Repeat layers twice. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forDonna Lasagna
"Thank you, Donna! I've been looking for that perfect classic "go-to" lasagna -- and I found it in your recipe. Clean, delicious, yumminess the whole family loved -- and it just gets better as leftovers the next day. I also nearly doubled the tomato puree (29 oz. can) but went by-the-book for the rest. Fantastico!"
"I make this lasagna at least once a month for church dinners. I double the meat; however, everything else in this recipe is added as stated. This is a phenomenal lasagna recipe!!!"
"Made this as written, minus the Italian sausage because we didn't have it in the house. My husband isn't a leftover or pasta person but he wanted more and more of this and was sad when it was gone. It only lasted a few days between the two of us with eating it for dinner and lunch. Would make a great make-ahead freezer meal also! I feel the blend of the spices and added cottage cheese make this taste so wonderful."
"Perfect comfort food! I make extra sauce to spoon over servings . Cottage cheese and ricotta cheese can be interchangeable , depending on preference."
"I'm not easily impressed but this was excellent. I used my own sauce which was much richer but the cheeses in this really made a difference. Be sure you let it set before cutting."
"This was delicious. I made extra sauce because photo looks dry. I also baked with non-stick foil and uncovered the last 10 minutes. Delicious and looked good."