Dark Chocolate Cream Pie
Caress every taste bud with this smooth, old-fashioned pie. Topped with a dollop of fluffy whipped cream, it will have chocolate fans standing in line.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in
- milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the
- pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2
- minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Spoon into pastry shell. Cool on a
- wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.