- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Spoon into pastry shell. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forDark Chocolate Cream Pie
"I had been searching for a cooked pudding pie (chocolate or otherwise) that turns out firm, stays put and doesn't fall apart and slither off your pie serving utensil when you lift it out of the pie pan and THIS IS IT!!It's very rich and smooth too, I recently served it at a large family dinner and everyone raved about it and requested the recipe! I used a frozen 9 inch deep dish pie shell but I had about 1 to 1 - 1/2 cups pie filling left over so next time I will use 2 - 8 inch pie shells ."
"Very rich and delicious! Make sure you cool the pie thoroughly before covering and putting in the refrigerator. If you don't a thin skin of fat/oils will form on the top. This was not mentioned adequately."
"This pie is good, but I have a GREAT recipe with meringue I lieu of whipped topping...so much better!!!!!"