Custard Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups crushed Holland Rusks or graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside 2 tablespoons. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minute. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour filling into crust.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until high stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing to crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 371 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (38g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Custard Meringue Pie
"Ohhhh, this old fashioned pie is good! I didn't sprinkle crumbs on top, but did everything else the same. I love the meringue on this pie."