Each bite of this light and fluffy pie will nearly melt in your mouth. The cracker-crumb crust holds a smooth vanilla filling topped with an airy meringue and a sprinkling of more crumbs. Everyone will crave a second slice! -Nancy Holland, Morgan Hill, California
Recommended: Classic American Pie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups crushed Holland Rusks or graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside 2 tablespoons. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour filling into crust.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until high stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing to crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Custard Meringue Pie in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p35
Reviews forCustard Meringue Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review