This zesty chicken dish from Margaret Allen of Abingdon, Virginia comes together in a flash. But it's so saucy and delicious, it's certainly good enough for company, and perfect for those busy weeknights.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- Combine 1 teaspoon cumin, oregano and garlic salt; sprinkle over both
- sides of chicken. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil
- both sides.
- Combine the picante sauce, water, bouillon and remaining cumin; pour
- over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 8-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Cook and stir the sauce over
- medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with
- chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 3 tablespoons sauce equals 170 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.