Creamy Strawberry Dessert
Rhonda Butterbaugh shares the recipe for a fruity gelatin dessert that's a summertime staple at her home in Weatherford, Oklahoma. "I usually prepare it the day before I need it," she writes. "It disappears really fast."
15 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugars and butter; press
- into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30
- Sprinkle gelatin over boiling water. Remove from the heat; stir until
- gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a
- large bowl; stir in strawberries and milk. Refrigerate for 30
- minutes or until partially set.
- Fold whipped topping into strawberry mixture. Spread over prepared
- crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares.
- Yield: 15 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a