Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
Corn really stars in this delectable recipe—it hits the spot whenever you crave a rich, hearty soup. I make it each year for a luncheon at our church's flea market, where it's always a big seller.—Carol Sundquist, Rochester, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 5 bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. Dissolve bouillon in water; set aside. In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain; crumble and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in the drippings until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and dissolved bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add corn and seasonings. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 233 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 941 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC