Creamed Pearl Onion Casserole Recipe
This rich and creamy onion casserole would be great alongside any roasted meat. Feel free to use frozen pearl onions (and skip the first step of the recipe) if you're pressed for time. —Sandra Law, Tucson, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 3/4 pound pearl onions
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, green onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add cream and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in pearl onions and cheese. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with paprika.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 10 servings.
1/2 cup equals 266 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 429 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC