Creamed Pearl Onion Casserole Recipe
- 3/4 pound pearl onions
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, green onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add cream and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in pearl onions and cheese. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with paprika.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 10 servings.
1/2 cup equals 266 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 429 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Creamed Pearl Onion Casserole
"I used Fat Free half and half and light parmesan...Yum!"