This rich and creamy onion casserole would be great alongside any roasted meat. Feel free to use frozen pearl onions (and skip the first step of the recipe) if you're pressed for time. —Sandra Law, Tucson, Arizona
Recommended: Old-School Recipes That Deserve a Comeback
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound pearl onions
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, green onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add cream and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in pearl onions and cheese. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Pearl Onion Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p47
Reviews forCreamed Pearl Onion Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2015
"I used Fat Free half and half and light parmesan...Yum!"