Cranberry-Apple Chutney Recipe
"In our house, this chutney is a must-have for our Thanksgiving dinner. It also makes a great appetizer when spooned over cream cheese on Melba rounds." - Mary Ellen Gilbert, Franconia, New Hampshire
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Carefully stir in the cranberries, apples, onion, raisins, brown sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, salt, allspice and cloves.
- 2. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Just before serving, stir in walnuts. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4 cups.
1/4 cup equals 147 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC