Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake
"Cranberries add a delightful tartness to this coffee cake that is a Christmas morning tradition for my family," writes Anne Keenan from Nevada City, California. "I make my own almond paste to use when making this treat." (You can find Anne's recipe by searching for "Homemade Almond Paste" in the Recipe Finder)
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a small bowl, cream almond paste, butter and 1/2 cup sugar until
- fluffy. Add two eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Combine 1 cup flour and baking powder; add to creamed
- mixture. Beat in the remaining egg and flour. Stir in extracts.
- Gently fold in cranberries.
- Spread evenly into a greased 8-in.-square baking dish; sprinkle with
- remaining sugar. Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire
- rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 285 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.