Country Turnip Greens Recipe
This easy recipe results in a delicious dish of cooked greens sure to please any palate. The key is the rich flavor of pork and onion simmered with the fresh greens.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3/4 pound lean salt pork or bacon, diced
- 4-1/2 pounds fresh turnip greens, trimmed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook salt pork until lightly browned. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings.
- 2. Stir the remaining ingredients into the reserved drippings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 317 calories, 28 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 622 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC