Country Turnip Greens
This easy recipe results in a delicious dish of cooked greens sure to please any palate. The key is the rich flavor of pork and onion simmered with the fresh greens.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3/4 pound lean salt pork or bacon, diced
- 4-1/2 pounds fresh turnip greens, trimmed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook salt pork until lightly browned. Drain,
- reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the reserved drippings. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until greens
- are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Editor's Note: Fresh spinach can be substituted for the turnip greens. Reduce the cooking time to 10 minutes or until spinach is tender.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 317 calories, 28 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 622 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.