It's a snap to spell out sweet sentiments on these quaint cupcakes when you bake a batch ahead of time using convenient cake mix. You don't even need a heart-shaped muffin tin to make them.
-Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
28 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 to 2 drops blue food coloring, optional
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Place paper or foil liners in a heart-shaped or standard muffin tin.
- Fill cups half full of batter. Bake according to package directions
- for cupcakes. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to
- cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar,
- butter, shortening, vanilla, butter flavoring if desired and milk
- until smooth.
- Divide frosting into fourths if desired; place in four separate
- bowls. Leave one bowl untinted. Add one color of food coloring to
- each of the other three bowls; stir until well blended. Frost
- cupcakes. Pipe untinted frosting around edges and decorate tops with