Conversation Cupcakes Recipe
It's a snap to spell out sweet sentiments on these quaint cupcakes when you bake a batch ahead of time using convenient cake mix. You don't even need a heart-shaped muffin tin to make them. -Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:28 servings
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 to 2 drops blue food coloring, optional
- 1. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- 2. Place paper or foil liners in a heart-shaped or standard muffin tin. Fill cups half full of batter. Bake according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, shortening, vanilla, butter flavoring if desired and milk until smooth.
- 4. Divide frosting into fourths if desired; place in four separate bowls. Leave one bowl untinted. Add one color of food coloring to each of the other three bowls; stir until well blended. Frost cupcakes. Pipe untinted frosting around edges and decorate tops with Valentine phrases. Yield: 28 cupcakes.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC