- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 to 2 drops blue food coloring, optional
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Place paper or foil liners in a heart-shaped or standard muffin tin. Fill cups half full of batter. (If using a standard tin, see the tip below left to cream heart-shaped cupcakes.) Bake according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and shortening in a small mixing bowl. Add vanilla and butter flavoring if desired. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk until light and fluffy. Divide frosting into fourths; place in flour separate bowls. Leave one bowl untinted. Add food coloring to the other three bowls; stir until well blended. Frost cupcakes. Pipe untinted frosting around edges and decorate tops with Valentine phrases. Yield: 28 cupcakes.
Reviews forConversation Cupcakes
"These cupcakes were great, however I didn't have a heart shaped muffin pan I used different color icing and added conversation hearts on the top and this just may be the one I go with. The "testers" loved them"
"I'm baking these cupcakes for my daughter?s birthday party this year. We did a test run and she loved them so much that she wants me to make extras so her friends to take one home with them. I?m going to let the kids write their own message on the cupcake they take home.I checked online and found that Box and Wrap was a great place to get cupcake boxes. I have stickers, markers, and crayons so the kids decorate their own cupcake box. At least the extra baking will keep me from buying party favors to give the kids."
"A small ball of foil works great if you dont have a marble. These tasted great and looked so cute! If you are going to eat something sweet, it may as well be cute too!"
"Really cute! For the people that do not have heart shapped tins- put a marble on the outside of the paper liner in the tin- they turn out heart shapped!"