Contest-Winning Taco Soup Recipe
I have to admit that when a good friend gave me this recipe, I wasn't certain I'd like it. But, after one taste, I changed my mind! My husband loves it—especially when the weather's cold. I've also fixed Taco Soup for my parents and in-laws, and taken it to church suppers. We live in a small oil-field town, and have two children, 7 and 5. I grew up on a ranch in the panhandle of our state, though, and even today I find I sure miss the country at times!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with cheese and serve with chips if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 302 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 1,746 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC