Coconut Curry Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (13.66 ounces each) coconut milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup red curry paste
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) thin rice noodles
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts
- Fresh basil and cilantro leaves
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring coconut milk to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 3 cups. Stir in curry paste until completely dissolved.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions.
- 3. Add broth, brown sugar, fish sauce and garlic salt to curry mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken; heat through.
- 4. Drain noodles; divide among six large soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles; top servings with vegetables, basil and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 601 calories, 34g fat (26g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1722mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
"This was so delicious. Used a seafood mix of mussels and squid. Can't wait to make again."
"Super yummy. Husband was very excited I made this...tasty and delicious on a cold fall night. I could stand a little more spice and perhaps some crushed peanuts on top. Will make again for sure!"
"We love this soup!"
"This soup was delicious! The cooking down of the coconut milk yielded very rich flavor. I also added a bag of frozen Asian vegetables (found at Costco) and about 1 tbsp of fresh grated ginger. The family loved it and there wer no leftovers. This would also be great with shrimp. Thank you Monnie for this wonderful recipe."
"I've made this soup several times for my family and they love it!"
"AMAZING! I made this as an alternative to the usual chicken soup when my husband was sick and I think the spiciness (which wasn't too much at all) helped with the congestion some. I left out the cilantro and forgot about the basil, used fish sauce instead of soy, and used a "rainbow slaw" bagged mix to cut down the prep. A friend of mine said he's going to try it with crab or shrimp instead of chicken and I think I'll try that next time because it sounds like it would be very tasty. An instant winner here."
"This was absolutely delicious. I only did 1/4C of the curry paste and that was still pretty hot for my midwest tastebuds! I would probably cut it back a bit more next time. Great soup!"
"If you're looking for something with a powerful flavor punch, this is your dish. You can make it hot or mild but it's a great meal on a cold, rainy night. I will be making this again. Great submission!"
"This recipe was delicious and relatively easy to prepare. I also added about 1/4 c of peanut sauce when I added the brown sugar, garlic salt, etc. Next time I plan to try a little tofu in it as well. Thank you for a great winter soup to add to my collection."
"Not only does it taste fantastic, but it's waist friendly too using bean sprouts instead of noodles. I love it!"