- 2 cans (13.66 ounces each) coconut milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup red curry paste
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) thin rice noodles
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts
- Fresh basil and cilantro leaves
- In a Dutch oven, bring coconut milk to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 3 cups. Stir in curry paste until completely dissolved.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions.
- Add broth, brown sugar, fish sauce and garlic salt to curry mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken; heat through.
- Drain noodles; divide among six large soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles; top servings with vegetables, basil and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCoconut Curry Chicken Soup
"I love this soup when it starts getting cooler outside. I make it exactly as written and it's perfect for me."
"Delicious! My family loved it. Will make this again and again!"
"This was so delicious. Used a seafood mix of mussels and squid. Can't wait to make again."
"Super yummy. Husband was very excited I made this...tasty and delicious on a cold fall night. I could stand a little more spice and perhaps some crushed peanuts on top. Will make again for sure!"
"We love this soup!"
"This soup was delicious! The cooking down of the coconut milk yielded very rich flavor. I also added a bag of frozen Asian vegetables (found at Costco) and about 1 tbsp of fresh grated ginger. The family loved it and there wer no leftovers. This would also be great with shrimp. Thank you Monnie for this wonderful recipe."
"I've made this soup several times for my family and they love it!"
"AMAZING! I made this as an alternative to the usual chicken soup when my husband was sick and I think the spiciness (which wasn't too much at all) helped with the congestion some. I left out the cilantro and forgot about the basil, used fish sauce instead of soy, and used a "rainbow slaw" bagged mix to cut down the prep. A friend of mine said he's going to try it with crab or shrimp instead of chicken and I think I'll try that next time because it sounds like it would be very tasty. An instant winner here."
"This was absolutely delicious. I only did 1/4C of the curry paste and that was still pretty hot for my midwest tastebuds! I would probably cut it back a bit more next time. Great soup!"