Classic Meat Loaf
It's not fancy, and it doesn't use exotic ingredients...but this is quite simply the best old-fashioned meat loaf I've ever made.Mary Rea, Orangeville, Ontario
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 slices whole wheat or white bread, cubed
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- In a large bowl, pour milk over bread. Add egg, onion, chili sauce,
- Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; mix
- thoroughly. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape meat mixture into an
- 8-in. x 4-in. oval.
- Bake in a shallow pan at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink
- remains. Drain. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 183 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot