- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 slices whole wheat or white bread, cubed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- In a large bowl, pour milk over bread. Add egg, onion, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; mix thoroughly. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape meat mixture into an 8x4-in. oval.
- Bake in a shallow pan at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains. Drain. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forClassic Meat Loaf
"Great, simple recipe! Comfort food for sure. Hubby loved it!"
"Sometimes simple is best because you usually have all the ingredients on hand and the dish comes together quickly. Also, this recipe only contains ingredients that enhance the flavor of beef and you end up with a meat loaf that tastes just like you?re expecting it to taste. The end result was juicy, soft in texture not tight, sliced and held together really well and was just delicious. Paired it up with mashed potatoes and roasted zucchini from my yard. This is going to be my go to meat loaf recipe."
"After trying this recipe just once, my husband and kids got excited when hearing the word 'meatloaf'. If there are any leftovers, they are usually gone the next day. Awesome recipe and very easy!"
"My husband and I enjoyed this meat loaf; will make again."
"Well I would leave out the hot sauce and chili sauce-maybe use ketchup instead but this sounds really good"
"This is really the best meatloaf I've ever made. I didn't have chili sauce on hand so ketchup was substituted and was great. Thanks for the recipe it's a keeper!"
"Really good meatloaf! Good flavor and stayed together well. Made awesome sandwiches the next day!"
"Super yummy meatloaf! My husband and boys love it! (11 and 9 years old) I like to drizzle ketchup on mine. The rest of my family likes brown gravy on theirs. Great recipe!"
"I love this recipe expecially when I added my own touches such as liquid smoke, garlic, stake sauce."
"One of the best meatlaoves I've made, and it slices beautifully. The leftovers made wonderful sandwiches."